Books and food…seems they go hand-in-hand, no? Both are necessary for our survival (at least we think so). Both also incite passionate debates – butter or margarine? Pancakes or waffles? Carbs or low fat? Hunger Games or Twilight? Edward or Jacob? Bronte or Austen? Fitzgerald or Hemingway?
We love food so much – we especially enjoy it when authors include recipes in their novels:
- The Hannah Swensen Mysteries by Joanne Fluke — Start with Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
- The Quilter’s Kitchen by Jennifer Chiaverini — The newest Elm Creek quilting circle member is a chef!
- Angelica Cookson Potts series by Cherry Whytock — The adventures & recipes of an English teenager
- The Goldy Bear Culinary Mysteries by Diane Mott Davidson — Start with Catering to Nobody
There’s also a new breed of cookbook featuring recipes inspired by books and the yummy foods mentioned between the covers:
- Planning a Hunger Games wedding or viewing party? Try…The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook
- Having a Harry Potter viewing marathon? Try…The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook
- Need to prepare a dish for your next book club meeting? Try…The Book Club Cookbook
- Want to whip up some green eggs and ham? Try…Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook
Check out these websites for more recipes inspired by books and authors:
- Ever wondered about Louisa May Alcott’s favorite dessert? Or did you want John Steinbeck’s recipe for posole? Check out Paper and Salt –a blog filled with recipes inspired by author letters, diaries, and novels.
- While reading George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series have you started salivating over the tables full of delectable dishes? Take a look at The Inn at the Crossroads – these ladies love Westeros and food! This blog is filled with soups, salads, drinks, and more from all over Westeros.
- Lord of the Rings fan? Check out Middle-earth Recipes from the LOTR Fan Club Scrapbook for dozens of recipes created and collected by MithrandirCQ and Primula.
- Were you craving Southern cooking after reading The Help? Browse through these yummy foods from MyRecipes.com: Southern Recipes Inspired by The Help
Finally, we love book-inspired cakes and cupcakes! Check out our Pinterest Board filled with bookish foods like…
- A cake inspired by The Night Circus
- Cakes disguised as stacks of books,
- Bookish wedding desserts
- PLUS find more food-filled books and series!
Are we missing your favorite recipe-filled books and cookbooks inspired by novels? Tell us in the comments!